About SideTracked Caches
This cache belongs to the SideTracked series. It is not designed to take you to a magical place with a breath-taking view. It's a distraction for the weary traveller, but anyone else can go and find it too. More Information can be found at the SideTracked Website
About Radley Station
Radley railway station serves the villages of Radley and Lower Radley and the town of Abingdon, in Oxfordshire, England.
It is on the Cherwell Valley Line between Didcot Parkway and Banbury, 58 miles 35 chains (94.0 km) measured from London Paddington.
The station was built primarily for the boys of Radley College.
It was formerly a junction station for a now-dismantled branch to the adjacent town of Abingdon. Opened in 1873 by the Great Western Railway, it replaced the original interchange, Abingdon Junction, opened in 1856. The branch line was extended north to terminate in a bay platform at the new station.
The station was renovated during 2008, with a new footbridge, shelters, a new car park and increased cycle storage.
In recent years passenger traffic at Radley has grown rapidly. In the five years 2005–10 the number of passengers using the station increased by 38%.
The station sees an hourly service per weekday between Didcot Parkway and Oxford. Services operate half hourly throughout peak times. Some northbound trains a day are extended beyond Oxford to Banbury, with services operating to Banbury on a two-hourly basis on Saturdays. With the January 2018 timetable change, services between Oxford and London Paddington were cut with these services now terminating and starting at Didcot Parkway; this is to allow Class 387 trains to operate stopping services on the line. On weekdays, there is just one train a day in each direction to and from London Paddington but some services in peak times also run to and from Reading.