HETHERSETT Railway Station was built in 1845 and in the 1960s as many as 12 trains a day in each direction stopped there.
Hethersett was on the Great Eastern Railway main line between Norwich and Thetford/Ely. In the 1960s the majority of trains stopping there were part of the Norwich to King’s Lynn/Wells Next the Sea service. Beware of house muggles - replace cache with stealth please!
The station was almost 2 km from the main part of the village, down what is now Station Lane which is divided by the main A11. In 1966, the station was considered to be surplus to requirements and was closed. The platforms were removed.
For a time the station buildings were used as part of a tyre store. Subsequently the station building was left derelict and photographs of its poor state are available on the internet. Another interesting part of the station's history saw sidings put into place leading to a Ministry of Defence oil depot during the Second World War.