Iowa Webcam One @ ISU
In Iowa, United States
Size:  (not chosen)
How Geocaching Works
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This is, I believe, Iowa's first webcam cache. You'll need a team effort to log this one and this is a daylight only cache.
To log this webcam cache you need to follow these simple instructions.
Found it! logs without proper pictures will be deleted. Don't log it until you have your picture ready for upload.
- Coordinate with someone you know who can be online when you visit the posted coordinates. Your best bet is to take along a cellular phone so that you can speak to this person while you visit this cache.
- If possible, wear some bright colored clothing (Cardinal and Gold would be appropriate...but not required) and try to take along something bright and/or large that you can hold up in one hand. An umbrella would be great!...especially if it's not raining. Something like a notebook or backpack could be used.
- If you're not a "local" then find a place to park without violating any campus rules (this can be tricky). You can drive to within 30 feet of the cache at times but I recommend that you plan to walk at least a couple of city blocks. The walk will be very easy. This cache is wheelchair accessible.
- Get yourself to the posted coordinates in the daylight hours. The brighter the better.
- When you arrive at the posted coordinates you'll be standing in front of a fountain and sculpture. Face south, toward the Memorial Union. Up on the roof and slightly to your left is the target webcam.
- Since this webcam does not take close-ups (UPDATE: The camera now takes reasonable close-ups but best if you follow this guide anyway) you will need to do something to distinguish yourself from the crowd...even if there is no crowd around you. Either hold up something large and/or bright in one hand (keeping one hand free for the cell phone) or if you forgot to bring something then you must lie down (stretch out and relax) on the ledge of the fountain directly in front of you.
- Your online partner should visit the webcam page at http://www.iastate.edu/webcam/. As you hold up your object (or lie flat on the ledge) your partner should refresh the image then right click on that image to save it (look for a "Save As" option) to their system.
- Now relax and enjoy this beautiful campus...you're almost done.
- Your online partner should then e-mail the captured image to you and you'll need to upload it with your log entry.
- Post your log and image along with the date and time of your visit.
If you want to participate in an optional survey of sorts... Move to the the posted coordinates as indicated by your GPS (not necessarily in front of the fountain) and snap another webcam pic at that point. When you upload that photo the description should include the make and model of the GPS you used to log this cache.
- We do not own or control this webcam.
- We do not get any warning if this camera is down for maintenance and/or repair. If the webcam is not working, for any reason, a photo taken of you at the cache site is acceptable. Make certain that you appear in the picture and it is obvious that you are at the cache site.
(No hints available.)
- Sample: Marden with UmbrellaThis webcam pic was taken on a rainy November 22. Marden is shown holding a blue umbrella over her head.
- Sample: Marden with NotebookThis one also taken on a rainy Saturday morning, Nov. 22, 2003. Marden is holding a white notebook over her head.
Last Updated: on 09/22/2016 15:40:53 Pacific Daylight Time (22:40 GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum