Trinity Mine Traditional Geocache
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This is an easy one, not much walking involved.
We have always been fascinated by backroads and history. We placed this cache so that you could enjoy the beauty of this entire area, it takes awhile to get to it, but take a picnic lunch, and mosquito repellant (just in case) and have a fun day.
The town was called Trinity, although the mine itself was the Royal Mine. The town started in 1923 as 4 buildings: a cookhouse, a bunkhouse, a shower house and a recreation building, plus 9 homes for the administrators and managers. Eventually the town grew to a size of 45 buildings with their own electrical system, which is still used today (the entire town is in private hands today). The mine itself tunnels 11,000 feet into Phelps Ridge. They had a trolley in the tunnel to bring the ore out and they had their own processing plant as well. The tunnel is probably still in fine condition, but securely walled off to protect from unauthorized entry. They started shipping ore in 1929. The mine closed in 1946 and all the equipment was sold off. The town was sold Jesse Smith for $10,000.
After several owners had come and gone, Two Rivers, Inc., acquired the property in 1979 with the intention of building a fine high-country resort, one that would include snowmobiling and cross-country skiing in winter. The owners were discouraged, however, by the heavy snows in winter (as much as ten feet on the ground from November to June), snowslides that wrecked buildings and the improbablility of being able to keep the road open in winter.
Giving up the resort idea, Two Rivers, Inc., eventually sold most of the property and buildings in 1990 for use as a private vacation estate. With the exception of the dwellings, office and power-generating facility, all of the processing structures have succumbed to snow or have been destroyed to prevent accidental injury.
There is a fascinating book called "Stevens Pass: Gateway to Seattle: by JoAnn Roe. It has alot of information about this entire area.
Travel bug "Ladybug, Ladybug, Fly Away"
Dog toy (donated by our chocolate lab Maggie)
Laser Paddle Ball
1 pair of funky earings
Logbook and pencil
"Where's George" dollar
Guvf vf SF ebnq 6200.