Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The cache is a small round plastic food container which will have space for small items.
I have set this cache up partly as the starting and finishing point for a pair of Travel bugs Eggburt (TBJR90) and Eggwina (TBJPA6). The TBs are having a race called The Great Egg Race to a cache in America and back.
This cache can be grabbed as part of a circular walk around Otford and the local Downs.
This cache has been placed with the permission of Kent Wildlife Trust. So a big thank you to them and expect to see details of the reserve and their work appearing here soon.
It started with:
Eggburt TB (TBJR90)
Eggwina TB (TBJPA6)
The walk that you can do from here is about 3 miles long. The walk starts from the centre of the village in the High Street. I have uploaded a map with the route, the location of the car park but not the cache :-) marked on it.
1. From the Otford Car Park (opposite 'The Bull' pub) Turn left onto the high street (part of the Old Pilgrims Way) past the Church Hall and The Forge Restaurant and turn left up the track (public footpath to Shoreham).
2. Keep to this track until the last building (a barn) is reached, turn half right up a couple of concrete steps and follow the track across the field to the corner of the hedge.
3. Turn right and cross the railway. (Please take extra care when crossing the Railway line.)
4. Another stile on the far side of the line takes you onto a path up to the main road (A225), cross the road and turn left up the hill, walk for approximately 100 yards and turn right over a stile into a field.
5. You are then faced with a steep climb up the hill and through the gap in the hedge line.
6. Follow the path up the hill between the fences to the seat.
7. The path continues to the right into the small wood then skirts the field edge and onto a sunken track.
8. Follow this track passing the radio mast on the right and across the top of the hill re-entering the wood.
9. Follow the track and bearing to the left as you approach the road, climb the stile.
10. Turn right and walk along the road for about 500 yards.
11. The path continues on the right over a style into a pasture field. Follow the field boundary with the OS trig point pillar on the left (776ft. above sea level).
12. The path joins the North Downs way as the entrance to the wood. Follow the path down the hill to a bench.
13. Continue down the hill till the path exits through metal barriers onto the Pilgrims Way. Cross the road and turn right to a kissing gate.
14. Go through the kissing gate and follow the path until you reach an open grassy area. Track round the edge to where it leaves the open area and eventually comes to a surfaced path with the Scout Hut opposite.
15. Turn right and walk to the main road just beyond the railway bridge. Turn left , a short walk will bring you to the pond (a listed building) past the 'Crown' pub to the Car Park.
I hope you enjoy this walk it is one that I do myself on a regualr basis and is easy to extend using some of the paths that track all over the place on the Downs.
Nf lbh ner fvggvat ba gur orapu, gur cngu lbh arrq gb gnxr vf gb lbhe yrsg. N srj srrg hc gur cngu ba gur yrsg vf jurer lbh arrq gb ybbx.