Newcastle - Town Walls Traditional Geocache
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Today, many visitors to Newcastle may not realise that it was once a walled town.
In 1265 the burgesses of Newcastle decided to supplement the defences of the castle with the building of town walls to protect them from the raids of invading Scots. When completed the walls extended for over two miles around the town and were never less than 7 feet thick and up to 25 feet high. The castle and its Black Gate were not part of the town walls but were enclosed within them.
The Newcastle town wall consisted of six main gateways called Sand Gate, West Gate, New Gate, Pandon Gate, Pilgrim Gate, and Close Gate along with seventeen towers and a number of smaller turrets built as lookout posts situated at intervals between the towers and gates. During the reign of Henry VIII the famous antiquarian John Leland described Newcastle's defences as "far passing all the waulls of the cities of England and most of the cities of Europe" in their strength and magnificence.
Today the most impressive surviving section of the old town wall is to the west of the city centre in the the vicinity of Stowell street where the remains of four towers may be seen.
Morden Tower built in 1280, used by the the Company of Glaziers, Plumbers, Peweterers and Painters from 1619, is now one of the oldest poetry venues in England, made famous by Basil Bunting.
Va ubyr oruvaq cvcrf