Union Station Micro Coin Cache
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This cache is located in the area of Union Station that was torn-down during urban renewal. It is in town with parking close by.
This cache is located near the old location of Union Station. Below are excerpts from books about Union Station. Notice the railroad tracks by the river. In its heyday, Union Station was a maze of tracks.
The biggest challenge of this micro-cache is to get it with stealth. It is located in an open area with minimal shielding from a busy road and parking lot.
The cache is a small bottle covered with duct tape. Is is large enough for small coins. The cache starts with a few interesting coins. Please secure cache as you found it.
"Completed in 1906-1907, Union Station at the foot of Exchange Street came to represent Bangor's position as the heart of eastern and northern Maine's transportation network. The name reflected the amalgamation of the different rail lines it served, and the clock tower became a symbol of the railroad's commercial dominance."1
"Union Station was constructed in 1906-1907 to meet the needs of increased rail service to Bangor. So named because it served Amalgamated rail lines, Union Station with his marble tile floors is a grand public building at the foot of exchange Street. At the Union Station, people welcomed family, friends, and visiting dignitaries to the area." 2
Exchange Street really had something going in the first half of this century. Visitors could step off the train at Union Station and walk up to the Penobscot Hotel to a sumptuous meal, and walk across to the Bijou Theater and be entertained all afternoon by vaudeville and motion pictures. The Bijou was opened in April 1912, having taken over the former Gem Theatre. It was an instant hit because of its large seating capacity, balcony, an exquisite design."3
"After it began serving Maine Central and Bangorand Aroostook Railrod travelers in 1907, the station became one of the city's most beloved landmarks. No other building in town was so busy with people. Everyone, it seemed, had passed to the station at least once in his or her life."4
"A colorful era of steam and romance drew to a close on June 13, 1954, as steam locomotive 470 left Union Station for the last time. Onboard the 12 cars coupled behind the old locomotive were Governor Burton M. Cross, Maine Central Railroad president Spencer Miller, and scores of railroad enthusiasts who tried to enjoy themselves on the Bangor to Portland round-trip. But many were saddened knowing the days of steam travel in the city, which began in 1855 when the Penobscot-Kennebec Railroad started to serve Bangor, were soon to become only a memory."5
We replaced the container in March 2010. The prior log is in the images and a larger version is at (visit link)
1 from The Story of Bangor... A Brief History of Maine's Queen City Bangor: BockMarc Publishing 1999 Page 50
2 from Zelz, Abigail Ewing & Zoidis, Marilyn Woodsmen and Whigs Historical Images of Bangor Virginia: The Donning Company Copyright 1991 by the Bangor Historical Society Page 71
3 from Shaw, Richard Images of America Bangor Volume II The Twentieth Century Arcadia Publishing 1997 Page 60
4 ibid Page 44
5 ibid Page 50
Rlr yriry va gur ohfu ol gur yvtug cbyr.
- Union Station Log thru 3/21/10We replaced the container in March 2010. Here is the prior log that was too wet.
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum