How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
A short walk from car park or limited free parking – views down Lake Windermere and surrounding fells.
The Roman Fort of Galava, built as one of a series of fortified structures to protect the vital trade routes through Cumbria, was built around AD79, and made use of a strategic position, protected on two sides by water.
During the Roman army’s conquest of northern Britain towards the end of the first century, a small timber fort was built here to house a garrison of around 200 men. It was soon abandoned, but the site was redeveloped early in the second century AD. The fort was demolished and a second one built in stone on an artificial platform which is still just visible. It housed a cohort of 500 infantrymen.
Archaeological excavations by R G Collingwood between 1914 and 1920 revealed the remains of the forts defences, and parts of the internal building arrangements, including the main gate, the south gate, the commanding officers house, the headquarters buildings and granaries, all of which can be seen today.
Although the remains lack the majestic location of Hardknott Fort, Galava has a pleasant situation adjacent to the open area of Borrans Park, Waterhead at the northern end of Lake Windermere.
Artifacts from the fort are held at the Kendal Museum, where there is also a tombstone which tells of a record clerk killed by enemy action.
Sbex bs gerr.
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum