ROVA - Italian Gardens
In New York, United States
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This cache has been placed by the NPS with permission from Deputy Superintendent, Carol Kohan
The National Park Service acquired the Vanderbilt estate in 1940. With the advent of World War II, it became difficult for the NPS to maintain the estate. The gardens became overgrown with weeds and brush and the grape vines (some 6 inches in diameter) began to destroy the arbors. Eventually, the entire area was declared to be hazardous and was fenced off. In 1950, a windstorm heavily damaged the greenhouses and they were torn down.
In 1984, three local gardeners, Martha (Marti) Stuart, Louise Martin and Marion Asher, approached the NPS to ask permission to attempt to restore the plantings in the garden. By then, the beds had disappeared and only a few of the original vines and cherry trees had survived. In May 1985, the annual beds were planted for the first time since 1938. By then, the Frederick William Vanderbilt Garden Association (FWVGA) had grown to 32 volunteers.
Many others have participated to continue the rebirth of the gardens. Today they contain over 4000 annuals, 2000 perennials and hundreds of roses.
Did you know . . . As of 2010, the volunteers of the FWVGA have accumulated over 207,000 hours of work, the equivalent of 5181 weeks of full time work, or 1 person working 40 hours per week for nearly 100 years!
This cache container has been donated by TurkeyclubHamncheese in honor of his late grandfather, Joseph J. Drozenski (May 5, 1935 - January 15, 2012). Joseph was a volunteer with the FWVGA between 1993-2006, contributing over 1600 volunteer hours and serving as treasurer for many years.
Fnaqjvpurq orgjrra gur fgnvef naq gur juvgr envy bs gur Gbby Ubhfr
Last Updated: on 11/8/2015 11:11:07 AM (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada) (7:11 PM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum