Bead-Jumbo Green Porcelain Rectangle TB
Sunday, February 26, 2017
Texas, United States
In Portland Police Bureau #1
This is not collectible.
Use TB7FB3K to reference this item.
First time logging a Trackable? Click here.
Please drop this item in rural OR Premium Member Only caches. Do not place it in an urban cache or abandon it at a caching event. Transport the bug in the original plastic bag for as long as the bag lasts; the bag keeps the trackable clean, protects the number and prevents tangling with other items. Otherwise, take the travel bug anywhere you wish. No permission is needed to leave the U.S.
Photos of the travel bug are appreciated. I will be re-post them here, where they can be seen by other cachers.
About This Item
This is one of a series of large beads obtained from different places and converted into travel bugs. They are named for Texas towns with interesting names or histories. Much of the text is from the online Handbook of Texas or texasescapes.com.
Jumbo, off State Highway 315 seventeen miles southwest of Carthage in southwestern Panola County, was settled by planters before the Civil War. James C. Brady, who had established a gin, a store, and a gristmill there by 1885, secured a post office in 1888, the community had to suggest a name. Remembering P.T. Barnum’s traveling circus, which made a tour by railroad through Panola and surrounding counties between 1882 and 1885, someone suggested that the community be named for one of its star attractions, Jumbo, an elephant billed by Barnum as the largest African elephant in captivity. By 1896 the settlement had a school and Baptist and Methodist churches. The post office closed in 1912, and the mail was sent to Clayton. In the mid-1930s Jumbo had a school and a number of scattered houses. Its school was consolidated with that of Gary in the 1940s. In the early 1990s Jumbo was a dispersed rural community.
Gallery Images related to Bead-Jumbo Green Porcelain Rectangle TBView All 4 Gallery Images
Tracking History (4689mi) View Map