How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This cache is hidden in a small park (Len Claus Kircheim Reserve) in Haigslea, just off the Warrego Highway.
Len Claus Kircheim Reserve
Using horse-and-scoop the contractors, Taylor Brothers, excavated a Government-funded dam on this site. In 1898 to supplement the meagre water supply from settlers’ slab-shored home wells. Although the dam dried out during the severe 1902 drought it satisfied the needs of the farmers well into the twentieth century until the daily demands of the burgeoning dairying over taxed its capacity.
Originally known as Wallow Scrub the district was named Kircheim by German settlers after one of the several homeland towns of that name. At the height of anti-German feeling during World War 1 the name was changed by Government decree to Haigslea after field Marshall, Sir Douglas Haig, Commander – In - Chief of British forces. The resurrection of the name for this reserve is in tribute to the pioneers, their families and descendants.
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum