This challenge cache is a way to get geocachers to go out and find those early Montgomery County geocaches that are still active. The requirements for completing this challenge is as follows:
Note: Even though this Challenge cache was published before the moratorium of Challenges, the Challenge checker has been updated to correspond with current rules for Historical Challenges, the rules to this Challenge Cache have been modified.
1) Find 15 of the 20 earliest active geocaches in Montgomery County
1) Find 15 caches that were published before the 20th earliest active geocache in Montgomery County. This may include archived caches.
2) In your list of 15 Montgomery County geocaches, you must have found the earliest active Montgomery County Geocache. This rule no longer applies.
A couple of notes:
1) If any of the geocachers are owned by you, you can claim them on your list.
2) If any cache on the list is archived, then the next active earliest cache will be included.
3) Once a cache is archived, it is removed from the Montgomery County 1st 20 list, and can not be included on your list. (This makes it easier for me to keep track and should not be a problem since this is a 'find 15 out of 20', instead of a 'find 20 out of 20 challenge',)
3) Once a cache is archived, there will be a new 20th oldest active cache that will be used for the basis of the Challenge Checker. Any archived caches will still be allowed to be included on your list of 15 caches to qualify.
4) You can give your proof of completing this challenge by either submitting a bookmark list or providing your list in the find it log. Please include the date you found each geocache.
4) The only proof needed is from running the Challenge Checker. If you wish to include your list of caches so that no archived caches are listed, you may do that.
5) If you have not completed this challenge, you may still find the geocache, but you cannot log it as a find until you have successfully completed the challenge. Any find it logs without completing the challenge will be deleted.
Here is the Montgomery County 1st 20 List:
- GC173A - Wheaton Regional Park Placed 08/18/2001
- GC1E7D - Crisscross (Reloaded) Placed 09/23/2001
- GC2D8C - Chuck's Birthday Cache Placed 12/22/2001
- GC4DC7 - AAD Cache #1 Placed 04/14/2002
- GC56D3 - Carderock Placed 05/11/2002
- GC6A65 - Blair Witch Project - Coffin Rock Placed 06/30/2002
- GC82BC - Black Hills Hoard Placed 08/21/2002
- GCA411 - The Original Placed 11/03/2002
- GCDBCF - Echoes of the Past Placed 02/27/2003
- GCF1CD - Dewey's Jar Placed 04/02/2003
- GCFB54 - Aquarius Placed 04/18/2003
- GCGBJV - Krusty Krab Cache Placed 06/21/2003
- GCGHCF - Enchanted Glen Placed 07/26/2003
- GCGN4K - Its not easy being green Placed 08/14/2003
- GCGVQP - Deep in the woods - The Innerloop Stump Placed 09/01/2003
- GCH2GC - Max Lange Attack Placed 10/11/2003
- GCH5VQ - Triadelphia Beaver Placed 11/02/2003
- GCH9FV - Thanks For Caching Placed 11/27/2003
- GCHKHQ - Deer's Solitude Placed 01/30/2004
- GCJ1G2 - CAM 2004 - Montgomery County Placed 03/28/2004
Though the hike to this challenge cache is not the distance many of the earlier geocaches were, the hide is typical of some of the early geocaches. The path to the hide is deer trails with lots of thorns and can be muddy after a good rain. You will also have to cross a small stream. An easier way to the cache may be to go past the geocache a little on the trail. The container is a regular sized lock-n-lock. Parking coordinates have been provided for the geocache, and the geocache should only be searched for in daylight hours. The difficulty is for the completion of the challenge, the terrain is for this hide. The terrain is as high as is it due to the amount of thorns and the crossing of a small stream. If there were no thorns, I would rate the terrain 1.5/2.0.
The goal is to have an Historic Caches Challenge for each county in the state of Maryland. The following Historic County Challenges have also been created: