Skip to content

Pelourinho de Carapito (Pillory of Carapito) Traditional Geocache

Hidden : 07/24/2011
Difficulty:
1 out of 5
Terrain:
1 out of 5

Size: Size:   small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Related Web Page

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

Esta cache tenciona mostrar o Pelourinho de Carapito, possibilitando ainda uma visita à igreja e aldeia de Carapito, onde podem desfrutar da paisagem natural e de outros pontos de interesse na povoação. This cache aims to show the Pillory of Carapito, enabling also a visit to the Church and the village of Carapito, where you can enjoy the natural beauty and other points of interest.

A paróquia de Santa Maria de Carapito existia já em meados do século XII, altura na qual, e de acordo com as Inquirições de D. Afonso III de 1258, a freguesia é referida como pertencendo a cavaleiros (villa de Carapito est de militibus), sendo servida por juízes régios. O documento faz ainda uma referência ao "concelho", sendo de supor que nessa época Carapito já usufruía de privilégios semelhantes aos de um município, ainda que não tivesse foral. De facto, o concelho de Carapito foi criado por D. Manuel, através de foral novo outorgado em 1514. Este foi extinto em 1836, e integrado em Aguiar da Beira, do qual é hoje freguesia. Conserva ainda o seu antigo pelourinho, levantado na sequência do foral, e situado no largo principal da aldeia, junto à igreja matriz e à sede da Junta de Freguesia. O pelourinho assenta num soco de quatro degraus octogonais, de rebordo boleado, estando o degrau térreo parcialmente enterrado. É constituído por coluna e remate, com arremedo de base e de capitel. A coluna é lisa e de secção octogonal, com base quadrada e chanfrada nos ângulos, de forma a adquirir a secção do fuste. Este é rematado por um singelo capitel anelar, composto por um colarinho decorado com pérolas entre duas estreitas molduras octogonais. Sobre este figura o remate do conjunto, em gaiola de grandes dimensões, formada por dois troncos piramidais de base oitavada truncados, o de baixo invertido, e o de cima sustentado por um colunelo central liso e por oito laterais. Os colunelos laterais assentam em mísulas decoradas com molduras anelares, e são encimados por pequenos pináculos. Dois destes colunelos estão mutilados, e um outro já não existe; por detrás de cada um existe um espigão em ferro, reforçando a sustentação do chapéu da gaiola. Este é, por sua vez, rematado por um pináculo encimado por pequena esfera, da qual sai uma bandeirola de ferro forjado. Vários outros pelourinhos idênticos subsistem na região, destacando-se o de Aguiar da Beira, no mesmo concelho; merecem ainda menção os de Algodres, Almendra, Castelo Mendo, Castelo Rodrigo, Moreira de Rei, Muxagata, Trancoso, Marialva (este mais singelo), Alverca da Beira, Aveloso, Cedovim (restaurados), entre outros. Foi classificado como Imóvel de Interesse Público (IIP) pelo Decreto n.º 23 122, DG n.º 231, de 11-10-1933.

The parish of Santa Maria of Carapito already existed in the mid-twelfth century, at which time, according to the Inquiries of D. Afonso III of 1258, the parish is mentioned as belonging to knights (villa de Carapito est de militibus), being served by royal judges. The document also makes reference to "county", and assuming that this time Carapito already enjoyed privileges similar to those of a municipality, although it had not charter. In fact, the county was created by D. Manuel, the new charter granted by em 1514. This was dissolved in 1836 and incorporated in Aguiar da Beira, which is now a parish. Still retains its ancient pillory, raised following the charter, and situated in the main square of the village, next to the church and the headquarters of the Parish Council. The pillory is based on a four-step punch octagonal flare bolead, with the step floor partially buried. It consists of column and shot, with mock base and capitel. The column is smooth and octagonal, and square base with chamfered angles, so as to acquire the section of stem. This is surmounted by a simple stone capital ring, comprising a collar decorated with pearls between two narrow octagonal frames. On this figure the shot of the whole, large cage, formed by two truncated pyramidal base octagonal truncated, reversed the lower and upper supported by a central plain small columns and eight sides. The small columns are based on side corbels decorated with ring frames, and are surmounted by small pinnacles. Two of these small columns are mutilated, and another no longer exists; behindeach one there is a spike in iron, reinforcing the support of the cap of the cage. This, in turn, surmounted by a spire topped by a short ball, which leaves a flag of wrought iron. Several other pillories remain identical in the region, especially that of Aguiar da Beira, in the same county, should also be mentioned in Algodres, Almendra, Castelo Mendo, Castelo Rodrigo, Moreira de Rei, Muxagata, Trancoso, Marialva (this most unassuming), Alverca da Beira, Aveloso, Cedovim (restored), among others. Was classified as a Public Interest (IIP) by Decree No. 23 122, DG No 231 of 10.11.1933.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Ngeáf qb cbfgr qr ryrpgevpvqnqr.

Oruvaq gur ryrpgevpny cbyr.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)