Once every four years, Leap Day gives us one extra day of geocaching. We think that’s worth celebrating! Of course, we are marking the occasion with a new souvenir. Heck, there will even be two souvenirs.
But to adequately underscore the gravity of this day (seriously, people wait four years to have birthday cake), we’re upping the celebration. For this one special weekend only, all geocache types in the Geocaching Intro app (including all terrain and difficulty ratings) — usually available only to Premium members — will be available to everyone for free.
Pretty exciting, right? We think so. To make the most of this once-in-four-years opportunity, we recommend you use the app to:
- Find an EarthCache — You can send your answers to the cache owner directly from the app.
- Challenge your mind — Try out a Mystery Cache or higher difficulty geocache. (Hint: If you’re stumped, message the cache owner for hints.)
- Explore the outdoors — Hike to extraordinary vistas by finding a higher terrain rated geocache.
- Go streaking — The geocaching kind, of course. Explore different elements of the game by finding a variety of geocaches.
How can I earn the Leap Day souvenirs?
The first souvenir can be earned February 27-29 by getting outside and finding any geocache (events excluded). The other souvenir can be earned on Leap Day itself — February 29 — only by attending a geocaching event.
How do I see all advanced geocaches for free?
Just open up the Geocaching Intro app for iPhone or Android during February 27-29! Advanced geocaches — usually available only to Premium members — will be unlocked for everyone. By logging a geocache, you’ll even earn the Leap Day weekend souvenir!
Will I be able to find Premium Member Only geocaches?
When a cache owner hides a geocache, they can opt to have their geocache only available to Premium members. We always respect this designation so Premium Member Only geocaches will not be unlocked during Leap Day. All other geocaches — including all geocache types, and terrain and difficulty ratings — will be available to basic members to find and log in the app.
What is a souvenir?
Souvenirs are digital awards you can earn by completing a specific geocaching achievement, like finding a geocache in a new country or finding a geocache on Leap Day. You can view the souvenirs you’ve earned on Geocaching.com and learn more about souvenirs in the Geocaching Help Center.
Not seeing unlocked geocaches in the Geocaching Intro app?
You should see advanced geocaches automatically unlocked for you in the Geocaching Intro app during February 27-29. If this is not the case, please try the following:
- Make sure you have the most recent version of the app. (Unlocked geocaches went out with the last release.)
- If you have an outdated operating system, please update to the newest version. (We do not support anything older that iOS 8 or Android 4.1.)
- Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app.