Planetary Pursuit launch support (aka FAQ)
Join Planetary Pursuit to explore beyond
The year is 2650. You are invited to join the Geocaching Explorers Club and be among the first geocachers to visit every planet in our solar system earning souvenirs along the way.
How to play
Find different geocache types to individually collect points on the Friend League between March 19 and April 15 and earn up to 10 new souvenirs to become an Official Space Explorer.
Simply Visit the Friend League page to activate your scoring control board and prepare to lift off on March 19.
What are the 10 souvenirs that I can earn?
|Souvenirs||Points needed on the Friend League (individual)|
|Planetary Pursuit: Earth||5 points|
|Planetary Pursuit: Venus||10 points|
|Planetary Pursuit: Mercury||20 points|
|Planetary Pursuit: Mars||40 points|
|Planetary Pursuit: Jupiter||65 points|
|Planetary Pursuit: Saturn||100 points|
|Planetary Pursuit: Uranus||200 points|
|Planetary Pursuit: Neptune||300 points|
|Planetary Pursuit: Pluto||500 points|
|Official Space Explorer||Collect all planet souvenirs (500 points) and earn this meta souvenir.|
How can I earn points?
If you log a cache, attend an event, or perform other geocaching actions, you collect points.
|Log a Found it on any geocache (Traditional, Virtual, Webcam, Wherigo)||5|
|Log a Found it on a Multi-Cache or Letterbox Hybrid||10|
|Log a Found it on a Mystery Cache or EarthCache||15|
|Log a Found it on a geocache with 10 or more Favorite points||15|
|Attend any event||15|
|Drop off trackable||4|
* The max number of points you can earn for any cache log is 15 points.
What is the Friend League?
The Friend League is a leaderboard that shows you and your friends’ geocaching activity. Earn points when you log a cache, attend an event, or complete another geocaching task. The number of points vary depending on the task at hand.
The Friend League displays the total points you collect during the promotion. You can also see how many points your friends have earned during the promotion. The Friend League will reset to zero on Monday, April 16 at noon UTC.
How do I participate?
Visit the Friend League to activate your scoring control board and prepare for liftoff. From March 19 to April 15, collect points by logging caches, attending events, or completing other geocaching actions. Earn up to 10 new souvenirs by individually collecting 500 points on the Friend League during the promotion period.
Can I join Planetary Pursuit at any time?
Of course! If you were late to join, you still have the chance to earn all 10 souvenirs as long as you collect enough points through April 15.
Do points on the Friend League stack?
No, there is no point stacking. The max number of points that you can earn on any cache log is 15 points. For example, if you find a Traditional geocache with more than 10 Favorite points, you will earn 15 points total. If you find a Mystery cache with more than 10 Favorite points, you will earn 15 points total.
Do I get points on the Friend League for attending a CITO, Mega or Giga-Event?
Yes. Attending any event type will earn you 15 points on the Friend League during Planetary Pursuit.
Where can I see my souvenirs?
As soon as you collect a certain number of points, the associated souvenir will automatically be awarded to your profile. The souvenirs appear on your profile under the souvenir tab.
Is the Friend League in the Geocaching® app?
The Friend League is not in the Geocaching® app but can be viewed in your phone’s web browser.
My Friend League points aren’t correct. Help!
- Make sure you activate the Friend League by visiting the page once before you start logging your finds.
- If you change a Note, DNF, or other log type to a Found it log, it will not be recognized on the Friend League.
- You may have found and logged a Lab Cache. At this time, the Friend League does not award points for finding Lab Caches.
- You logged on Monday, March 19 before noon UTC (convert to your local time here). We suggest that you wait to log until AFTER Monday noon UTC – which in some places like New Zealand is Tuesday at midnight – to log your geocaches. Otherwise the points will not count for the first week.
- You saved a Draft on a Monday, March 19 before noon UTC.
If you have already posted your logs, select “View / Edit Log / Images”, then click the pen icon and “Submit Log Entry” on the website. Your logs should now be counted towards your total.
What does UTC stand for?
Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) is the basis for civil time today. It is the time standard (not a time zone) commonly used across the world. You can convert UTC to your local time here.
I logged a Lab Cache, why didn’t I earn any points on the Friend League?
At this time, the Friend League does not award points for finding Lab Caches.
Do I need friends on my Friend League to participate in Planetary Pursuit?
You do not need geocaching friends to collect points and earn souvenirs for Planetary Pursuit. However, it’s still fun to have friends on your Friend League so you can cheer them along through their space explorations! Here are some ideas on how to make friends in the geocaching community:
- Attend a geocaching event. Attending geocaching events is the easiest way to make new friends in the real world. Make sure to note their username and invite them to become friends on Geocaching.com. Bonus: You’ll earn extra points when attending an event. Find an event near you.
- Search for a local geocaching organization. One of the best ways to learn about geocaching and make friends is to join a Geocaching Organization. Find a geocaching organization near you.
- Look for Facebook groups in your area. There are many geocachers on Facebook that have created local groups. Search for “geocaching+your location” on Facebook and see if there is a group of like-minded treasure hunters in your area.
- Share your username in the comment section of this blog post. If others follow suit, you can add each other on Geocaching.com and make friends all over the world!
How do I add friends to my Friend League?
- From the left hand side of your new dashboard, or on the old version on the right side under the ‘Community’ section, select View friends.
- Under Add a friend, enter your friend’s username.
- Select Send Invitation.
- Enter a message for your friend.
- Select Request Friendship.
Why does the Friend League show only some of my friends?
The Friend League shows ten of your geocaching friends—always including yourself. If you want to see all of your friends, scroll down the list and select See more.