What is the Adventure Lab app?
Geocaching Adventure Lab is a new way for geocachers to find and log Lab Caches.
Lab Caches are an experimental geocache type often played at Mega-Events. These caches count towards your geocaching statistics and total finds. In contrast to other cache types, Lab Caches are not required to have a container and can also be located indoors. This allows Lab Cache owners to innovate and test new ideas to make geocaching even more fun!
The Adventure Lab app is being soft launched to the geocaching community to augment the existing Lab Cache player and associated Lab Cache experiences.
What happens to the Lab website/player?
The app will supplement the Labs web player for a short period of time (likely for a couple months). Eventually, the web player will be retired.
What advantages does the Adventure Lab app offer?
- Public Adventure Lab Directory – View all publically available Adventures (Lab Cache series), sorted by distance.
- Location Validation – Lab Caches can only be logged by users currently within a predefined radius from the Lab Cache. This is an often requested feature from builders who wish to limit cheating by people who do not actively complete the experience.
- Linear Gameplay – Adventure creators may choose for their Lab Caches to be played in a specific order, allowing for more creative storytelling.
Translations: The app supports localization in 29 languages.
What is the new terminology?
- The product colloquially known as Adventures or Labs is now Adventure Lab.
- Individual Lab Caches are now Locations in an Adventure
What should Adventure Lab creators/builders know?
Adventure creators have more options on how to build the Adventure experience. They will be able to define the order in which the Adventure is to be played, allowing for more storytelling options and control of player movements through space. (Note: until the web player is retired, players will not be forced to respect the defined order of locations).
Adventure Creators can set their Adventure Labs to Private, Public, or Off. Public means that the Adventure will be listed in the public directory and is accessible by everyone. Private means that the Adventure will not be publicly listed, and can only be accessed by users with a specific code to do so. Off means that the Adventure will not be listed in the public directory and cannot be accessed.
Are there other functionality changes?
Grace period: The current functions of Grace Period and Start/End date in the Builder tool will be retired. This is being replaced with Public, Private, or Off settings.
GPX download: Adventure Lab must be a data-connected experience in order to ensure linear storytelling and location lock-out are respected. These features are incompatible with the option to download and store location details in advance to a GPSr. As a result, GPX download functionality will ultimately be retired at some point in the future for lab caches.