It’s 20 years into the 21st century and geocachers continue to be experts in the science of discovery. Recently, geocaching innovators have experimented in the Adventure Lab® to create new experiences. From interactive food tours to local trivia, cachers are formulating Adventures in new ways.
Let’s combine geocaching with Adventure Lab to create the perfect solution for discovery. April 12 through July 11, find Adventure Lab Caches and other geocache types to earn up to four scien-terrific souvenirs.
Join this challenge to learn more about Adventures and the undeniable chemistry between geocaching and science.
How to play
From April 12 at noon UTC through July 11, 2021, collect points on your geocaching leaderboard by logging Adventure Lab Caches and other geocache types. Earn up to four new souvenirs by collecting 300 points during the promotion period.
How do I find Adventure Lab Caches?
- Open the app, go to your profile, and log in with your Geocaching account.
- Select a nearby Adventure from the map or the directory list. Read the description to learn more.
- Tap Start and navigate to the nearest available Location.
- Follow the instructions in the description. Find and enter the Location answer.
- After submitting the correct answer, you earn an Adventure Lab Cache find for your geocaching statistics and 10 points on your leaderboard.
- Visit all Locations. Enter the solution for each Location to complete the Adventure. Be sure to rate it and share your experience!
What are the four souvenirs I can earn?
Rocket science: 50 points
Geology: 100 points
Environmental science: 200 points
Futurology: 300 points
How can I earn points?
|Found an Adventure Lab Cache (Adventure Location)||10 points|
|Found a cache with 10+ Favorite points||9 points|
|Found an EarthCache||8 points|
|Found a Mystery Cache||7 points|
|Found a Multi-Cache||6 points|
|Found it*||5 points|
*Log a Found it on any other cache type
The maximum number of points you can earn for any cache log is 10 points.
What about COVID-19?
We encourage geocachers to follow the most current guidance from public health authorities when choosing how to participate in activities such as geocaching. Your health and safety are the top priority.
Our goal is to have a promotion that is both fun and safe. As such, we will continue to make any adjustments as needed so that the promotion is as inclusive as possible.
Can I join the challenge at any time?
Of course! If you are not starting right away, you still have the chance to earn all four souvenirs as long as you collect enough points through July 11, 2021. Make sure to log your finds by July 14, 2021 at noon UTC to earn the souvenirs.
Where can I see my souvenirs?
As soon as you collect a certain number of points, the associated souvenir will automatically be awarded to your profile. The souvenirs appear on your profile on Geocaching.com and in the Geocaching® app under the souvenir tab.
Is this souvenir challenge in the Geocaching® app and the Adventure Lab® app?
Geocaching® app: The Science of Discovery will be in the Geocaching® app at the beginning of the challenge on April 12, and will be accessible until July 11, 2021. Go to your profile and tap on The Science of Discovery to see your progress.
Adventure Lab® app: The challenge and your souvenirs are not accessible in the Adventure Lab® app at this time.
My points aren’t adding up correctly, help!
- If you change a Write Note, DNF, or other log type to a Found it log, it will not be recognized in The Science of Discovery.
- You logged on Monday, April 12 before noon UTC (convert to your local time here). We suggest that you wait to log until AFTER Monday noon UTC—which in some places like New Zealand is Tuesday at midnight. Otherwise, the points will not count for the first week.
- You saved a Draft on a Monday, April 12 before noon UTC.
If you have already posted your logs, select “View / Edit Log / Images,” then click the pen icon and “Submit Log Entry” on the website*. Your logs should now be counted towards your total.
*At this time, you can only edit your logs on Geocaching.com,not in the Geocaching® app.
What does UTC stand for?
Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) is the basis for civil time today. It is the time standard (not a time zone) commonly used across the world. You can convert UTC to your local time here.