Ping! That’s the sound of your phone or email notifying you when a new geocache is published nearby. Grab your geo-bag, gps device, and get moving… you want to be the FTF (First To Find).
Why would I want to be FTF?
Being FTF on a geocache is an exciting experience. You get to discover the newly published geocache prior to everyone else in the community and you get to brag about it 😉 . On many occasions, geocache owners will leave a small gift for the first geocacher to discover their cache. Prizes? Heck yes!
How do I set up instant notifications to let me know when a new geocache is published (only applicable to Premium Members)?
You can custom build notifications under Premium Member features.
- Go to the Add Instant Notification page
- Name the notification
- Choose a cache type to monitor (e.g. Traditionals, Events, etc.)
- Choose the types of logs you want to see (if you are just looking for newly published caches, choose “Publish Listing”)
- Set the location (central point) and distance (around that point) you want to watch.
- Check the email listed in the “Send to” drop-down menu. (If you would like to send Instant Notifications to an alternate email,you will need to manage your email addresses first.)
- Check “Enable Notifications”.
- Select “Create Notification” and you are set!
For addition information on Instant and Text Notifications please go here.
How can I add FTF to my statistics?
Geocaching.com does not have a feature that showcases FTFs, as Geocaching HQ does not regulate or manage FTFs. However, many geocachers use outside statistics-generating sites such as GSAK.net or MyGeocachingProfile.com to display their FTFs on their profile pages.
Now go and search, young grasshopper.
How will you celebrate your first FTF? Pancakes?