All good cachers go geocaching, what do great cachers do?
Cachers Improve The Outdoors!
This year, Cache In Trash Out® (CITO) souvenir moments will extend from just one week, twice a year, to two entire seasons! That’s right earth-lovin’ geocachers, this year’s CITO dates are:
CITO 2019, Season 1
Friday, March 1 through Friday, May 31, 2019
That includes all of March, April, and May!
CITO 2019, Season 2
Sunday, September 1 through Saturday, November 30, 2019
That includes all of September, October, and November!
Cache In Trash Out® (CITO) is an environmental initiative supported by the geocaching community. Since 2002, CITO helped preserve the natural beauty of cache-friendly spaces. In that time, more than 363,000 people have volunteered at 18,000 events.
It was earnest feedback from passionate members of the geocaching community which brought about this dynamic shift, such as:
- In many parts of the world, one week within April and September simply isn’t conducive to being outside and helping the environment. It’s too dark, too cold, or too inhospitable in other ways for successful CITO events.
- Up to this time, many German geocachers haven’t been able to organize Spring CITO events due to it coinciding with bird nesting season and off-limit times for many nature preserves.
- Ultimately, we want to offer more flexibility for geocachers to collaborate with local agencies on joint CITO projects. We believe by expanding the dates, this should allow geocachers more opportunities to partner with agencies such as nature preserves, parks departments, and non-profit organizations to improve the environment.
Sounds great! How can I earn both CITO 2019 souvenirs?
To earn the CITO 2019, Season 1 and the CITO 2019, Season 2 souvenirs:
- Attend or host any CITO event during each of the two seasons.
- Remember — only one souvenir per season. But feel free to attend or host as many CITOs throughout the year as you wish!
We’ll highlight great ways to expand your CITO in our blog, newsletter, and social posts, so stay tuned.