We’ve all been there: we set lofty goals for the year and suddenly, life (or just 2020) happens, and come November your resolutions are long forgotten. Thankfully, we are introducing a handy new feature that makes it a whole lot easier to set a goal and stick to it. If you’ve been wanting to fill your Difficulty and Terrain grid, it’s time to revisit it with the new ability to search for all the specific combinations you are missing.
Whether you’re just starting out or have already filled your Difficulty and Terrain grid (D/T grid), the new searchable D/T grid can help you achieve that goal.
Note: The D/T grid is part of Geocaching Advanced Statistics, a Premium member feature. Learn more.
Here’s how it works:
- Visit your Statistics on Geocaching.com.
- Scroll until you reach the Difficulty and Terrain grid.
- Use the button below the grid to search for all D/T combinations you still have to find or click directly on a grid square to search for that specific combo.
- Search results will be displayed in a list format. If you’d like to map these caches, add them to a List* and map the List. Lists sync automatically with the Geocaching® app so you can easily have access while out in the field, and download for offline use!
- The final step is to find those caches and watch your grid fill in!
Already filled in your grid? The “Fill in your grid again” button will open search results with all D/T combinations that currently have the lowest number in your grid. You can also use the individual search by clicking on the exact combination you’d like you to find on the grid.
You can also further refine your D/T search results by filters such as cache type, location, cache size, and more.
Here are three goals to challenge yourself with before the end of the year!
- Choose a row or column and try to fill it in. Whether you choose to exercise your mind or body, both will come in handy for this next challenge:
- Work to increase your average Difficulty or Terrain rating. Increasing these will also help to fill in your grid.
- We saved our favorite goal for last—forget about the numbers, and just have fun! We’re better at sticking to our resolutions when we’re having fun. So whether you host a Zoom party to solve some D5 Mystery Caches or are gearing up to tackle a T5, try out the new searchable D/T grid to increase your geocaching fun.
We hope this new feature inspires you to push yourself to explore more, see new locations, and of course, find more geocaches!
*The D/T grid and Lists are Premium member features. Learn more.
As the COVID-19 situation is evolving rapidly around the world, we encourage geocachers to follow the most current guidance from public health authorities when choosing how to participate in activities such as geocaching. Your health and safety are the top priority.