Who doesn’t love a good party with great geocaching friends? Answer: No one.
Geocaching Events are a great way to meet the local geocaching community where everyone is oddly enough, just like you. Geocachers will designate a time and location to meet and discuss their favorite hobby. Geocaching events are fun, so always expect a good time!
Anyone can plan and host an event. Here are 12 tips and tricks to get you started on planning the best geo-bash around.
- Pick a great time and location to maximize your attendance. It can be indoors or outdoors, in the morning or at night. Whatever you decide, make sure there’s enough room and parking for everyone who’s attending. Schedule your event so it isn’t the same day or at the same time as other events nearby.
- Pick the appropriate event type for your geocaching event. There are different types including Social/Regular and CITO.
- Uplevel your event with a fun theme. Pirates, holidays, Pi Day… the possibilities are endless
- Add optional activities. You can combine almost any non-geocaching activity with geocaching; biking, eating, swimming, potlucks, pancake breakfasts, etc. But geocaching has to be a focus of the event. You could also have geocaching activities as well; camouflage tips, container decorating, trackable trading, etc.
- Prizes are awesome and geocachers enjoy winning them. You can give prizes away based upon competitive games that you create or perhaps a fun raffle.
- Commercial events are not permitted on Geocaching.com. Read about this and all other event guidelines before submitting your event on Geocaching.com.
- After you have all details squared away, submit your event on Geocaching.com through the online form. Note: All events should be rated appropriately (events are typically rated a Difficulty 1).
- Submit your event for review at least 2 weeks in advance. Events can be posted up to 3 months prior.
- If you need to update your attendees before the event, you can use the “Announcement” log type. Everyone who has logged a “Will Attend” will receive an email notification!
- For an accurate estimate on how many geocachers will be attending, double the number of the “will attends” on your geocache page. Geocachers will bring friends and family.
- It’s not required, but bring a logbook to your event for everyone to sign. These can be as creative as you like and attendees enjoy adding their names!
- Last but not least, have a blast. Enjoy your event, make new friends, and earn a smiley.
Are your party pants on yet? Good. Time to start planning the next epic geocaching event or attend an event for inspiration.