The theme of this month of Wheel of Challenges, Teamwork Makes the Dream Work, is all about community connection. If you’re looking to get closer to earning the souvenirs for the challenge, attending Events and posting “Attended” logs for those Events is sure to get you there.
However, Events might not be the type of geocache that you’re usually drawn to. If the thought of meeting a bunch of new people and striking up conversation is overwhelming, attending an Event could feel a little daunting. You’re not alone. To help geocachers who are on the introverted side, we’re sharing tips and tricks on how to use that nervous energy to transform you into a geocaching social butterfly.
On your way there, tell yourself these statements to hype yourself up!
“My geo-senses are immaculate.”
“I can find a nano in the woods easily.”
“Muggles never catch me. I am a stealth machine.”
“If there is a trackable on Mars, anything is possible. I can do this.”
2. Seek out other solo cachers
Chances are, you aren’t the only person who is at the Event alone. Cachers attend Events to meet new people and celebrate our community, so find a fellow solo-flier and strike up a conversation. Compliment one of their notable geocaching accessories and ask them why they carry it with them.
3. Bring your favorite trackable
Geocachers love trackables, so bring along a few from your inventory. If you find that you are running out of things to say, bring them out to let your new pals “Discover” some. You’ll forever be in their hearts and in their statistics.
4. Take a break
If you are feeling tired, find a quiet spot to take a few deep breaths or text a friend. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. You got this.
5. Embrace who you are
When all else fails, smile and be yourself. You are an incredible person with caching stories and friendship to share. Some people are social butterflies. Some people are quiet until they have the world’s funniest joke to say. The best thing about geocaching is that you can come as you are and be celebrated.
Starting a conversation with a new person can be intimidating. Here are some questions to ask to get that new friendship blooming:
- Hi, what’s your username?
- How long have you been geocaching?
- Where are you from?
- Can I pet your dog?
- I’ve been trying to crack this Mystery Cache for ages, can you help me?
- Have you done an Adventure Lab yet?
- Have you signed the log yet? Let’s do it together!
- What is your favorite cache in this neighborhood?
- What is the oldest cache you have found?
We asked some Lackeys what tips they had to share. Here is what they had to say:
- If going alone is a scary thought, meet up with a buddy beforehand and go together.
- Set a timeline for how long you want to spend at the Event. This will allow you to enjoy your time and leave before you feel tired.
- Pick three questions that you can ask, and come prepared to make new friends.
- Sometimes leaving can be awkward. Practice saying exit lines like, “well, I have to get a move on, it was nice talking to you!”.
- I would recommend CITO’s as a first Event, because you can socialize while you are working and often that can be easier for introverts.
What tips and tricks do you use for making geocaching friends at Events?